Citizen Science: Phenological Monitoring in Joshua Tree National Park Spring 2018 (Biology x413 1 unit)
Climate change is on everyone’s mind these days, and as Californians, we are all wondering what effects rising global temperatures are going to have on our state. Here’s your chance to help answer that question. Learn how to become a citizen scientist and collect data on the effects of climate change on plant phenology – or life cycle changes – in Joshua Tree National Park or your own backyard for the California Phenology Project. The Project is gathering data on the effects of global warming on when plants produce leaves, flowers, and fruits to learn whether plants are engaging in these activities earlier as temperatures rise. We will spend Friday night in the classroom learning about the Project, including basic plant biology and the plants that are being monitored in Joshua Tree National Park. We will spend Saturday monitoring plants on Ryan Mountain. The hike up Ryan is 1.5 miles (3.0 miles round-trip) with an elevation gain of about 1000 feet and will end with fantastic views of the Park from the summit. We will return to the classroom to enter our data. Come be part of the solution, not the problem! Download the course outline: Citizen Science: Phenological Monitoring in JTNP Please review this pdf package that contains pertinent information about your class, the Joshua Tree National Park, camping reservations and lodging in the area around the park: enrollment attachments. If you are a member of JTNPA/PINE you will get a $10 discount off every Desert Institute class. If you are not a member you can become one here. Please take the time to review our General Class Information and Fitness Levels before registering.
9800 Black Rock Canyon Rd.
Yucca Valley, CA 92286
More Event Ideas
- More Education Events
- Biological Soil Crusts of Joshua Tree National Park Spring 2018 (Biology x412.28 1 unit) at Joshua Tree Retreat Coference CenterSaturday, Mar 17, 9:00 PM
- Desert Invertebrates: A Macro Photography and Microscopy Primer Spring 2018 (Biology x412.19 1 unit) at Joshua Tree Retreat Coference CenterSaturday, Mar 10, 9:00 AM
- Desert Tortoise Conservation Biology Spring 2018 (Biology x412.18 1 unit) at Copper Mountain CollegeSaturday, Mar 17, 8:00 AM
- More Events on May 5, 2018
- Saturday, May 5, 5:30 PM
- Kal David•Lauri Bono & the Real Deal perform Saturdays at Vicky's of Santa Fe in Indian Wells at Vicky's of Santa FeSaturday, May 5, 7:30 PM
- Saturday, May 5, 10:00 AM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.